Published on: 11-Aug-2017
Special Topic: Agri-Commodities by Wilmar International Ltd
Date: 30 August 2017, Wednesday
Time: 6.00PM - 8.00PM
Venue: The Hive, LHS-TR+56Register now!
- In-class Activity
- Small group discussion
- Samples for students to brainstorm and think of how these commodities are being produced, used, etc.
Break / Food Tasting SessionLecture
- Overview of global agri commodity industry
- Wilmar’s product segments
- Explain the different ingredients that were used to produce the snacks that the students had during the break
- Lecture mainly focused on palm fruit as an example
- Value chain of palm industry (plantation -> refinery -> commercial)
- Features of a futures contract
- Factors that affect pricing (demand, supply, FX, etc.)
- Real-life examples that affect pricing (El Nino, policies, etc.)
- Use product labels (chocolate bar, shampoo, etc.) to illustrate wide usage of agri commodities
About the Speaker:
Mr Thomas Lim joined Wilmar International Limited in August 1999 and was appointed Group Head of Edible Oils in January 2016. He is responsible for the Group’s global edible oils trading and oversees the edible oils supply chain management. Prior to this appointment, MrLim was General Manager – Trading (Edible Oils) from 2011 to 2015, Head of Philippines operations from 2007 to 2008 and Head of European operations from 2005 to 2006. In addition, Mr Lim has been appointed a director of Wilmar Trading Pte Ltd from 1 July 2013. He holds a Degree in Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) from the Nanyang Technological University.
Back to listing